Subscribe

Enter your email address:

Saturday 28 April 2018

Growth Spurts - What to expect when breast feeding





Hey all,

I hope you are well, Matilda is approaching 10 weeks old on Wednesday and recently gone through what I feel is her biggest growth spurt so far! I remember these well with Harry and for a lot of new mummies (including me when Harry used to have them!) I would really question/doubt myself especially if breast feeding...

All sorts of things would go through my mind...

Is baby ok?

Why isn't he/she napping for as long as they usually do?

Is she/he having enough milk?

Is my breast milk no longer enough for her/him?

The list really is endless!

Before I begin, let me put some of those to bed just in case you've thought/thinking them!

Is baby ok? - As long as baby doesn't have a temp, seems to be feeding normal and just generally fussing then all is good however if you ever feel something doesn't feel quite right it is always best to get medical advice.

Why isn't he/sleeping for as long as they usually do? All part of the growth spurt process, if they're sleeping a lot more, baby's produce a hormone called HGH - Human growth hormone, this happens when they're sleeping - Again very very normal.

Is she/he having enough milk? As long as you follow your baby's lead and feed on demand, then yes they will be having enough milk. Keep doing what your doing and follow their signals, it is known baby's can literally grow over night during a growth spurt in length and weight!

Is my breast milk no longer enough for her/him? YES YOUR MILK IS ALWAYS ENOUGH! The female body is such an amazing one, your breasts will NEVER be completely empty, your body will be able to give your baby all it needs and your milk supply will catch up in order to meet those needs.  Keep baby on the breast to encourage those signals for more milk supply! Do not panic and feel you aren't fulfilling their hunger, soft breasts and constant feeding is very common during growth spurts. 

If you have any other concerns or questions on Breast feeding and growths spurts then feel free to email me on thehappybalancemum@gmail.com

I am putting this blog together because 9 times out of 10, your babies behaviour is completely normal. In growth spurts babies can become fussy, clingy, they want feeding constantly, lots of cuddles, some sleep more, some sleep less - Matilda definitely napped less today! Yet her growth spurt a couple of weeks ago she slept tons and my boobs felt as if they was going to burst! 

I want to give you mummies some reassurance and to tell you do not worry. For me growth spurts for both my children last around a day or 2, although I have read they can last up to a week and for my 2 they usually happen in the day time. My best tip is if you feel/sense a growth spurt coming then to cancel your plans and keep that day free (obviously within reason!) For me luckily today I had zero plans and boy am I glad because I literally would of been no good to anyone other than Matilda :) if you try and attempt different you will only feel frustrated and be working against your baby rather than with, and that is no good for your stress levels and most definitely not baby's. They are clever little things and are very in tune with their mummies moods/feelings. Follow your baby's lead and feed on demand as much as you can to keep them happy, content and growing. It will pass I promise.

Growth spurt days need to be a day to relax and feed on demand.... Literally.  Matilda's recent growth spurt was from waking at 7.30am she was feeding and sleeping every hour and half literally on repeat. How do I know this? Because although I feed on demand anyway's I follow the EASY routine which I have found works more so as a guidance for us, it has allowed me to establish what her cries mean, so a I want to sleep cry, I am hungry cry, wet nappy cry and so on. Anyways back to what the EASY means... E - EAT - A - ACTIVITY (so play mat, rattle, sing song) S - SLEEP and Y - YOU. Growth spurts for us the A and Y definitely doesn't happen for her, she won't want to sit in her chair or lay on her mat and watch her brother play, well from what I can tell so far. And the YOU doesn't happen in growth spurts because us mummies are there like a machine for them. So its iust lots of the E and the S!!!! & the S in this recent growth spurt was lasting around 40 mins, she would literally close her eyes have a quick power nap and open her eyes again and repeat!

I was lucky to get a shower today and wash/blow dry my hair and do one lot of washing and tumble dry  - Not bad going for a growth spurt day eh! But a lot of new mummy's will stress/doubt themselves just like I did the first time round and almost feel as if they've gone back wards but as I say this is all completely normal and there are definitely a few more ahead for sure so bare with them and hang in there. Growth spurts can be confusing, they can be exhausting but grab your self your favourite biscuits, keep hydrated, iPhone charger, watch your favourite tv programmes and just roll with it! Once you actually know why and when they're happening I promise you, you will feel much more at ease.

Lots of Love x

SHARE:
Blogger templates by pipdig